It’s official. Isabelle’s a girly girl, just like her Mommy. Before we met her, I was hoping that I’d get a daughter with girly things in common, as that’s something my own Mom and I love to share. Yet, also, I’ve been the mom of a boy for so long, that having a daughter feels different in many ways–some good (hygiene!), some just different (obsessive hygiene!).
For instance, we’ve spent less than a week with her, and her interest in clothes, looking at herself in the mirror, and beautifying are highly defined. The first time I picked out an outfit for her to wear, she shook her head “no” to the first three dresses I showed her. We went to a kids’ clothing store today, and she was pointing out dresses she liked and pulling clothes off the racks. It’s funny to see how a girl doesn’t have to be taught such things! She loves putting barrettes in her hair, combing her hair, and pretend-blowdrying her mane. And, the girl loves, loves, loves putting lotion on herself. My Mom and I are the only ones I know who are so diligent about using lotion, and now I can add Isabelle to that list.
Another thing I’m discovering as a new mother of a daughter is her interest in hygiene. The other day, she grabbed an individually-wrapped wet wipe from the purse that the orphanage sent. I thought that she had mistaken it for a tiny pack of crackers, which we’d been told was one of her favorite snacks. Without saying a word, she proceeded to open it up, take out the wipe, wipe her mouth, pick up crumbs from the bed, and throw away the wipe. A girl after my own heart! Isabelle also loves to brush her teeth. Even though she may have already brushed hers, if she sees anyone else brushing their teeth, she wants to brush hers all over again. She also washes her hands often, even if her hands have had neither the time nor opportunity to have gotten dirty.
The sweetest and most intriguing thing–though it’s hard for me to say whether this is a girl thing, an Isabelle thing, or something else entirely–is the way that she caresses us. Sometimes she puts her little hand on our cheek and looks up into our face, or she puts her hand in ours, just to look at our two hands together. It makes me feel treasured by her already, that she is expressing affection and appreciation for finally having a mom and dad whom she can touch, hug, and kiss.
When Wes came home, the differences between boys and girls seem to come alive! I thought Elia was a tomboy. But now that we have a boy, I am realizing how truly feminine she really is.
ReplyDeleteIt's fun to hear about Isabelle's personality coming out! And wonderful to see how God placed her in just the right family. :)